Saturday 13 December 2014

Influence

The first project of third year was to do with our influences and inspirations.

The brief was to come up with a design that could be used on half an A1 Poster in collaboration with students from Shanghai Institute of Visual Arts.

I like flowers, I always have. I like the natural forms, the tonal and contrasting colours, and the sheer variety of different species. When I’m drawing anything for a project I always tend to warm up by doodling flowers from memory or from photographs.

I also like pattern and shape. Most of my inspiration for visuals in my projects comes from pattern design and I have a few books on the subject that I enjoy having a look through on a regular basis.

So I made a floral pattern!






The pattern technique was one that I'd used previously, involving creating a composition within a triangle and then flipping and rotating that shape to form a hexagon, which is then repeated.

We also got to use the big fancy printer. v. exciting (the pattern on the left is Becky Riley's - good isn't it).



Unfortunately due to a hard drive melt down :-----( I don't have the original file - but I do have this scan of a print out which gets the point across.


I'm really happy with this project, it was nice to work quickly on something as we had less than a week to spend on the project

A good start to third year I'd say. 

P.S. I made sort of zine things!

After seeing everyones work on the presentation day I thought what a shame it would be if the work that hadn't been selected didn't get used anywhere. So I asked the people who wanted to get involved to send their work to be compiled into two editions of a zine that we could sell at this years Nottingham Zine Fair to get fundraising started! (Becky helped a lot with this)


If you would like to find out more about my course's fundraising events please go to

 facebook.com/ntuandcollective

We have cool jumpers, t-shirts and other merch and we put on really great club nights in Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment